In our reading I also am troubled by the treatment of women so far. Whether Lot knew the men wouldn't take him up on his offer of his daughters (since he knew their interests were for men) or not, it was a horrible thing to do. Also we have heard of multiple wives for some and the taking of concubines for others. I have not heard much about God showing displeasure in these things except for the trouble that occurs at times with jealousy between Sarai and Haggar, for example. I feel like we should hear that God was displeased by these things if they are wrong. Maybe in those early days it was a way of populating the earth faster.
Rheba
I do think it was probably a way of populating the earth faster. At the same time, we don't always see God showing displeasure at things that are wrong. I think sometimes the scripture is a history of what happens and the way things were rather than an endorsement of behavior. In the New Testament, Paul says that Deacons are to be men with one wife, so that at least tells us that God's ideal is for man to have one wife! But yes, for me there are times when I am reading that I want God to say something about the behavior! Maybe God shows us how truly troubled, sinful and wayward even the most righteous people were so that we would see how much we needed Jesus to come and be our sacrifice.
ReplyDelete