Friday, January 10, 2014

Jennifer

Did you all catch the last portion of our scripture today. Esau had married two wives and the scripture said that "they were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebecca." The first recorded conflict with in-laws makes me thankful I have really great ones! We also saw Isaac make the same mistake his father did in saying that his wife was actually his sister. Was this a common deception or just that Isaac learned from his father? I have also wondered about the descendants of Ishmael. God clearly did not abandon Ishmael and did make him into a great nation, but since his descendants were not heir to the promise, does that mean they were doomed from the start? 

Other days readings have left some questions and some observations. I just had not been able to post until now. When God announced to Abraham that he would have a son, I always concentrated on the fact that Sarah laughed, but this time the scripture became even more interesting. Was it God that came to Abraham's door? Certainly it reads that way. So I am picturing the scene: God comes to the door and Abraham says, "Quick Sarah make some bread, God is here!" Really, the fact that she was going to have a baby  as an old women was more shocking than God Almighty at her door! Abraham also recognized God right away. Does that mean this was not His first in-person visit? Did he look like Jesus?

Then the Lord and the two others (trinity, angels??) leave and go to see Lot. Every time I read that account, it shocks me how quickly Lot tries to offer up his daughters! Did he know his visitors were from heaven? Did he think they could not take care of themselves! Overall the way that women are treated in the Old Testament is sad! I always have to remind myself that just because it is recorded does not mean that God sanctioned it! The New Testament readings have been challenging on a different level and I look forward to sharing that with you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment