Genesis 11 - Here's something I have never understood: why did God not want the people to speak the same language? It seems like I heard something once about them being proud but I don't remember. What do you all think?
I'm pretty sure it was because of what they were able to accomplish without a language barrier, it made them prideful. Just think about the automatic sense of humility a person assumes when you can't speak someone's language.
My study bible says that by building the tower they were trying to be self sufficient from God, showing that they didn't need God, trusting in their own abilities. Verse 4 also says the people said "let us build ourselves a city. . . lest we be dispersed over the face of the earth." Which God's command to them was to go and fill the earth, so they were being disobedient to God's plan for them. They were the ones being prideful in thinking they could build a tower to heaven and they said "let's make a name for ourselves". So God's purpose in giving them different languages was a punishment somewhat for their prideful disobedience and so they could not make further plans together that went against his will. Also those who spoke the same languages would band together and form their own towns and countries thus doing what God wanted them to do in the beginning.
My thoughts were like yours Rheba. Well at least my study bible's are. :) I think it's important to know that God says "this is the beginning of what they will do," which is very powerful, I feel like.
That IS powerful. It makes me think of the progression of sin that James describes. Also, I totally get that about security because most if the time when we sin we think it is offering something we need and don't have. Would you agree?
I'm pretty sure it was because of what they were able to accomplish without a language barrier, it made them prideful. Just think about the automatic sense of humility a person assumes when you can't speak someone's language.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteRheba here:
My study bible says that by building the tower they were trying to be self sufficient from God, showing that they didn't need God, trusting in their own abilities. Verse 4 also says the people said "let us build ourselves a city. . . lest we be dispersed over the face of the earth." Which God's command to them was to go and fill the earth, so they were being disobedient to God's plan for them. They were the ones being prideful in thinking they could build a tower to heaven and they said "let's make a name for ourselves". So God's purpose in giving them different languages was a punishment somewhat for their prideful disobedience and so they could not make further plans together that went against his will. Also those who spoke the same languages would band together and form their own towns and countries thus doing what God wanted them to do in the beginning.
Thanks gals, that makes sense
ReplyDeleteThanks for adding me to this group blog. I'm a few days behind b/c of sickness, but hopefully I can catch up or just JUMP in on DAY 6! :)
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts were like yours Rheba. Well at least my study bible's are. :) I think it's important to know that God says "this is the beginning of what they will do," which is very powerful, I feel like.
ReplyDeleteKnow=note
ReplyDeleteAlso, my commentary brought up that in building the city their desire was for security. How applicable is that to our own culture?!
ReplyDeleteThat IS powerful. It makes me think of the progression of sin that James describes. Also, I totally get that about security because most if the time when we sin we think it is offering something we need and don't have. Would you agree?
ReplyDelete