Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Jennifer

When I was in high school, my parents owned a collection agency, so my high school job was telephone debt collection. It was a bit like Minnie Mouse asking for money, but I digress. I was the youngest employee at the agency and the learning curve was huge. I had to learn about laws and strategies. I had a lot of questions. I didn’t just want to know the laws, I wanted to know the history of the laws. I didn’t want to know only strategies, but why the strategies worked. As a result, my older colleagues gave me the nickname “But Why?”
Fast forward over twenty years (am I really that old?) and I find that questioning is still a huge part of my personality. There is a bumper sticker that says “God said it, I believe it and that settles it.” The first time I read through the Bible, I tried to approach it with that attitude, but the questions began popping up. I discovered that even though I knew a lot about the Bible and had read a lot of it, there was still so much I did not know. As the questions arose, I tried to shove them aside. God said it, I believe it and that settles it, right? As a result of this attitude, my faith was seriously tested. 
I came to a very important conclusion during that period. I realized that my questions were not a surprise to God. He created that part of my personality. He has the answers and there are no questions too hard for Him. I still admire those for whom that bumper sticker rings true, but God made me to want to ask questions and dig deeper.
This time around, I am approaching my reading very differently. As I have questions, I am writing them down. I am thinking on them and praying about them. I welcome the questions and the opportunity to learn. 
I look forward to taking this journey together. I am excited about the things that God is going to teach us as we journey through the Bible together this year. 

Love, Jennifer

My prayer today is this:

Dear God, I pray that as we read through the Bible this year, it will be an experience that will build our faith and trust in you. I pray that we will read the familiar with new eyes. I pray that each of us will draw closer to you and to each other. I pray that we will put your commands to action on a daily basis.



No comments:

Post a Comment