Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sacrifice

How do you honor Christ during Lent? Today is Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday as it is called in some denominations. Tomorrow officially begins the season of Lent. As a Baptist, I have never really done much during the season of Lent. Sure, I celebrate Easter, and certainly remember Christ's sacrifice.... For the most part though, the idea of giving something up or fasting was a Catholic thing, rather than something I needed to think about. 
Strangely enough, it is the Old Testament readings that have prompted me think about Lent! Every day the people had to give sacrifices. While it seems gruesome, it did remind the people of their sinfulness.  I imagine that as they slaughtered the animals and laid them on the alter, they took time to reflect on their need for atonement! 
I am thankful that we don't have to make those types of sacrifices! But I understand other denominations traditions of fasting and reflection. Ash Wednesday is a time to really examine our lives and look at our sins and temptations. While we should be doing this every day, having a day set aside to remind us is a good thing. I think. 
The idea that we make a small, voluntary sacrifice to reflect on Christ's gift to us at the cross is a beautiful tradition. I don't know about you ladies, but I do find that I need to really stop and worship. I need to thank God more often for his goodness and mercies. During Lent, and always. 
What do you girls think? How do you honor Christ during Lent? 

No comments:

Post a Comment